CPMA Membership Benefits:
Local Businesses offer Discounts
Robert Sides Music Stores are offering:
- 10% off all music and accessories with a union card
- Free rehearsal space in the State College store at
1801 North Atherton St., State College, PA 16801
Call (814) 861-6882 to reserve
- Free rehearsal space in the Williamsport store at
201 Mulberry St, Williamsport, PA 17701
Call (570) 326-2094 to reserve
Albrecht Audiology is offering:
- A $20 discount off the regular price of
custom-fitted musician’s ear plugs
Call (814) 867-4327 to make an appointment
Or visit them at at 233 Easterly Pkwy, State College, PA 16801
General Membership Meeting - February 15
plus Luncheon and Jam Session
It’s that time of year again when AFM Local 660 hosts our annual Free Lunch and General Meeting. We’ll meet on Saturday, February 15, 2014, 11:30 – 12:30 at the South Hills School of Business on Waupelani Drive for a general meeting. Meet your colleagues and hear what’s on their mind and share how you think the AFM should be working for you. One of the topics we want to discuss is a Fair Trade Music initiative that started in Portland OR, that is gaining traction nationally.
Each member may bring one guest for FREE. This could be a spouse, partner, or musician colleague, or other friend. As an enticement to attend, we’ll have a door prize drawing for a pair of tickets to any non-Broadway show at the PSU Center for Performing Arts. These are made available to us as a thank you for advertising in their program book all year.
At 12:30 lunch will be served. The menu is lasagna (with and without meat), salad, dessert and beverages.
After lunch members are invited to join a jam session for the rest of the afternoon. We have the room until 5 p.m. Drums, keyboard, and a PA will be provided. Bring your music toys and play with your friends.
Please RSVP to Debbie Trudeau with your name and your guest by February 8. We are paying for a minimum of 25 people, so if your plans change and you can’t come let me know.
Incumbents Retain Their Seats
All Canidates Unopposed
At a meeting on October 20 in which four executive seats were open for election, all the officers curremtly holding those positions declared their intentions to run for re-election, and were subsequently nominated. No other nominations were offered, therefore, since all canidates were unopposed, they will retain their seats.
The results: Chris Lee and Phil Jensen remain President and Vice-President for 2014. President and Vice-President each serve for one year. John Thompson was relected as Secretary, Debbie Trudeau was reelected as Treasurer, and John Kovalchik was relected as an Executive Board Member. Their terms will expire in three years.
Congratulations to all officers, and we hope they will serve Local 660 well in the coming years.
Local 660 Programs Support Music and Grow Audiences
The Central Pennsylvania Musicians Association, aka AFM 660, has assembled a program to support music and grow audiences. Elements include:
1) Sustainable Music Venues program: a list of AFM 660-designated bars and other venues who have agreed with AFM 660 to pay all musicians at least the per-person minimum wage established by AFM 660 and to offer written contracts to all musicians. No more last-minute cancellations! (See button on left)
2) "Listen to the Music" jam sessions to bring musicians of all ages and levels together to connect for success and just for fun.
3) An AFM 660 newsletter with news and interviews about the local music scene. Join the story of the music scene as it evolves.
4) Legal Representation: State College lawyer Phil Masorti has agreed to provide pro-bono legal services for member-musicians.
5) A new Code of Ethics - how professional musicians behave. (See button on left).
6) A new Wage Scale - the minimum per-person pay for gigs -- based on a market survey (See "Documents" button on left)
Local 660 Newsletters
Please visit the Newsletter page
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
General Membership Meeting
Classical Players Meeting
1755 Cambridge Drive
Executive Board Meeting